Attendance Policy and Procedures
Clear an Absence or Tardy
Millikan High School ATTENDANCE POLICY & PROCEDURES
Welcome to an exciting school year. We are thrilled you are a RAM. As we prepare for a new year, we know how important regular attendance is on your journey to success and its pivotal role in your personal and academic success. Your presence and punctuality in class daily offer a structure of learning where you grow your knowledge, sharpen your skills, and discover your passions. Beyond the classroom, our school provides a rich social network forming friendships, collaborating with diverse peers, and building a supportive community. These connections enhance your high school experience and foster valuable interpersonal skills that will benefit you. Moreover, attending school regularly instills a sense of discipline, responsibility, and punctuality. By developing these essential qualities, you will be better equipped to manage your time effectively, meet deadlines, and overcome challenges. Remember, each day in school is an investment in your future. It opens doors to countless opportunities, higher education, and rewarding careers. By attending school consistently, you are laying the foundation for a successful and fulfilling life. Once again, welcome. We are excited to embark on this journey with you and look forward to all your achievements.
Returning to School After an Absence
Upon the student's return to school, the absence must be cleared. This will be done in one of the following ways:
1. The student can submit their note to the attendance office, before school, during nutrition, during lunch, or after their school day has ended.
2. Parents can send an email to the Millikan Attendance Office Email at email@example.com
When submitting a note to clear an absence, please include the following:
1. Student’s full name
3. Student ID number
4. Reason for absence
5. Date/s absent
6. Parents/guardian name
7. Phone number
All absences must be cleared within five school days of the student's last absence.
Please do this to avoid an unexcused absence. If the submitted note falls within the state-approved absences guidelines, it will be denoted as excused.
● Excused absences (Per EC 48205): ○ Illness (doctor verification required after three consecutive days) ○ Medical or dental appointment (doctor verification required) ○ Funeral service for an immediate family member (limit one day within the state of California, three days out of state) ○ Court appearance ○ For purposes of cultural ceremony or event
● Unexcused absences including but not limited to: ○ DMV ○ Babysitting ○ Illness/doctor appointment other than student’s ○ Family emergency ○ Vacation ○ Out of town for a college trip or other ○ Transportation issues
Early Out Procedures
Requesting your student early from school due to an upcoming appointment can be done one of the following ways.
1. Complete the Google Form "Early Out Request." This Google Form is available daily after 4:00 pm through 8:00 am the next day.
2. Submit a note with your student requesting for your student to leave early. The note must contain the following information. 1. Student’s full name 2. Grade 3. Student ID number 4. Time the student needs to leave 5. Reason the student needs to leave early 6. Parent/guardian’s name & signature 7. Parent/guardian contact phone number Once our Attendance Office has verified the Early Out, students must pick up their early out from the Attendance Office during Nutrition or Lunch only. A student may use their Early Out to exit class and school at the designated time listed on the Early Out.
All Early Outs due to any medical or dentistry appointment must be accompanied by an official note for proper attendance clearance upon the student's return to school. 3. Parents/guardians or an emergency contact can report to the Attendance Office to sign out the student early. (proper identification is required)
Steps for Clearing Questionable Absences
1. Go to ParentVue to find dates/periods of absences
2. Discuss any questionable absences with your student
3. Have your student speak/email their teacher about absences ○ If the teacher agrees that there was an error, the teacher will submit a correction form to the attendance office to correct and remove the error. ○ If the teacher disagrees, the absence will remain. After completing steps 1-3, contact the attendance office if there are still discrepancies. Tardy students must clear tardies by attending detention. If a student fails to clear tardies or has excessive tardies, they will be required to attend Saturday school. If any student has excessive absences or falls in the category of a habitual or chronic truant, they may be assigned Saturday school. Students can also attend Saturday school for academic support with tutors.
Revised August 2023